Sunday, July 29, 2018

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Two years ago I started making my own laundry detergent.  I tried a couple different recipes, but this is the one I settled on. I try to make my own cleaners because Sophie has sensitive skin, and in general, I don't like to use harsh chemicals in our home  This recipe is great because it's a liquid detergent (what I'm used to), it gets my clothes clean,  it makes a small amount, and it costs $0.24 per load. 

                                                   This is all you need for ingredients


For washing clothes I use 1/3 cup homemade laundry detergent and 1/4 cup distilled vinegar (instead of softener) per load.  For drying,  I use three wool dryer balls with a few drops of essential oils.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
  • Super Washing Soda – 7 oz (2/3 cup)
  • Baking Soda- 1.5 oz (3 Tbsp)
  • Liquid Castile soap – 1/2 cup, any scent –
  • Water– 5 cups, divided
 Directions
  1. Bring 5 cups of water to a boil.
  2. Pour washing soda into a large glass bowl then slowly stir in 2 cups of boiling water until washing soda is completely dissolved.
  3. Add one tablespoon of baking soda at a time and stir well to combine. The mixture will thicken as baking soda is added until it is a pudding-like texture.
  4. Stir in ½ cup Castile soap until well combined. Slowly stir in remaining 3 cups of boiling water.
  5. Cool to room temperature, the mixture will separate while cooling. 
  6. Combine separated mixture by blending or whisking until smooth. (Tip: Pour the mixture into two quart size Mason jars before cooling then screw on a blender bottom to easily blend until smooth.)
  7. Store liquid detergent in a glass bottle ( I use a 1 gallon vinegar bottle). Use 1/3 cup per load of laundry.
I got this recipe from Brendid.com.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Tracey! Thought I’d check out your blogspot. Lot’s of interesting things, here. I’ve used Dr. Bonner’s soap, but now I am buying the Market Basket version. It has the same ingredients, but half the price. I have used it for shampoo, general cleaner, and I’ve made great window cleaner with vinegar, lemon juice and, maybe some ammonia (not sure about the ammonia, though). Dr. Bonner’s soap has all those comments on it that are his attempt to unify all religion and philosophy. It really can’t be done. Jesus stands alone, outside and above all other “religious” figures. You simply can’t reconcile reincarnation with resurrection, can you? Anyway, I will be looking for your testimony.... Michael Walsh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that MB had castile soap. I will look for it! I also make a general cleaner with it, never tried it as a shampoo though. I make my own glass cleaner, too. I agree with what you said about what's on the bottle of Dr.Bonner's. Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete