And I am embarrassed to say that I have not always recycled. I remember when our town started requiring us to recycle-I still didn't most of the time. And when all of my children lived at home (there were 7 of us all together) we took out a bag of trash everyday! Even with three of us in the house now we were taking a bag to the dumpster every other day. This is crazy!
Over the last number of months I have become a minimalist. The next natural progression is to lesson my trash. I have been so impressed with the people who promote a Zero Waste lifestyle. I want to be like them! I feel like I have finally woken up, and while I don't think our family will have "zero" waste, we are working towards having much less waste.
Here are some of the things we are doing:
- buying from the bulk bins at a local co-op using mason jars and small cloth bags
- bringing cloth bags to the grocery store and farmers market
- composting with our community gardeners
- not using plastic water bottles
- using cloth napkins and towels instead of napkins and paper towels