Wednesday, June 28, 2017

A Zero Waste Lifestyle

Many years ago I watched a documentary called Bag It, and for a while I tried to minimize my use of disposable plastics.  But it didn't last long. Soon those cloth bags got left behind when I went to the grocery store, and I eventually forgot about using them. And I'm embarrassed to say that I have not always recycled. I remember when our town started requiring us to recycle-I  still didn't most of the time. And when all of my children lived at home (there were 7 of us all together) we took out a bag of trash everyday! Even with three of us in the house now we were taking a bag to the dumpster every other day. This is crazy!

. I have been so impressed with the people who live a Zero Waste lifestyle. I want to be like them! I feel like I have finally woken up, and while I don't think our family will have "zero" waste, we are working towards having much less waste.

Here are some of the things we are doing:

  • buying from the bulk bins at a local co-op using mason jars and small cloth bags
  • bringing cloth bags to the grocery store and farmers market
  • composting with our community gardeners
  • recycling
  • not using plastic water bottles
  • using cloth napkins and towels instead of napkins and paper towels 


No comments:

Post a Comment